Graduate School of Humanities
Office: Bunkei-sogo-kan 706
A. Present and previous position titles:
Professor, Graduate School of Humanities (4/17-present)
Professor, Graduate School of Languages & Cultures, Nagoya University (4/04-3/17)
Associate professor, Graduate School of Languages & Cultures, Nagoya University (4/98-3/04)
Associate professor, Faculty of Language and Culture, Nagoya University (4/91-3/98)
Associate professor, Center for Linguistic and Cultural Research, Nagoya University (2/90-3/91)
Assistant professor, Center for Linguisitic and Cultural Research, Nagoya University (4/88-2/90)
Part-time instructor of English at Kitasato University (4/87-3/88)
Part-time instructor of English at Tokyo Stewardess Business College (3/88-4/86)
B. Fields of specialty :
American Literature (Esp. Poetry)
Modernism and Postmodernism
Representation of Multicultural Society
C. Professional membership:
The American Literature Society of Japan
The English Literary Society of Japan
The Japanese Association for American Studies
The Ezra Pound Society of Japan
AALA (Asian American Literature Association)
The Modern Language Association
D. Selected Publications:
- "Theresa Hak Kyung Cha's Playful Writing in Exilée and Temps Morts." Foreign Literature Studies [『外國文學研究』] 35.5 (October 2013): 23-29.
- "Against 'Provincialism': Ezra Pound's 'Renaissance' Project." The American Review 47 (2013): 41-57.
- "Writing the Self, Writing (with) Everybody: Gertrude Stein's Everybody's Autobiography." Journal of Mark Twain Studies 11 (2012): 49-58. (in Japanese.)
- "Mina Loy's Border-Crossing and Rhetoric: Reading Her Early Poetry." The Desappearance and Reconstruction of Borders in European and Anglo-American Literature from the Late 19th Century to the Early 20th Century (2012): 43-65. (in Japanese.)
- "Voices of the Ancestors Calling from the Land Far Beyond: Repression and Manifestation of Ethnicity." Gendai-shiso [La revue de la Pensée d'aujourd'hui] 38.6 (2010): 115-123. (in Japanese.)
- "Ezra Pound's 'Originalism': A Legacy of the Fenollosa Manuscript in His Essays in The Japan Times." Language and Culture Research Series 9 (2010): 1-18. (in Japanese.)
- "Pound's Reception of Noh Reconsidered: The Image and the Voice." Ezra Pound, Language and Persona (Quaderni di Palazzo Serra 15). Ed. Massimo Bacigalupo and William Pratt. Genoa: Universita degli Studi di Genova, 2008. 113-125.
- "The Obscurity in Hart Crane's Poetry and His Sexuality." Gengobunka-ronshu (Studies in Language and Culture) 37.2 (2006): 109-126.
- In Quelle Parte Dove Sta Memoria: Ezra Pound and the 20th Century Poetry. Ed. Koji Toki and Sanehide Kodama. Tokyo: Shichosha, 2005. (Co-authored. In Japanese.)
- "John Berryman, 'Dream Song 76 Henry's Confession': An Impersonator's Dark Confession." Eigo Seinen (The Rising Generation) 151.4 (2005). 228-230 (36-38). (In Japanese.)
- "Blackface and Satire: Reading Spike Lee's Bamboozled." Tagenbunka to Mirai-Shakai [The Plural Culture and the Future Society]. Ed. Masakazu Yoshimura. Nagoya: The Graduate School of Languages and Cultures, Nagoya University 2005. 151-168. (in Japanese)
- "Harmony and Death: 'Little Gidding' as a War-Spirit Boosting Poem." Reading the Classics. Language and Culture Research Series 4 (2005): 55-70. (In Japanese.)
- "Modernist Aesthetics for Radicalism? -- Why Not?: Response to Linda Wagner Martin, 'The Radical and the Poetic in American Modernism.'" Proceedings of the Kyoto American Studies Summer Seminar, July 29-July 31, 2004. Ed. Hiroshi Yoneyama and Ai Hattori. Kyoto: Center for American Studies, Ritsumeikan University, 2005. 167-176.
- "Woody Allen's Representation of Jewish Americans Reconsidered: Reading Annie Hall, Zelig, Crimes and Misdemeanors."(In Japanese.)
- "Concealment and Implication: Dislocation of Ethnic Identity in John Yau's Poetry," AALA Journal 9 (2003): 32-39. (In Japanese.)
- "The Eliotian Modernism and Black Poets: Melvin B. Tolson's Reception of T. S. Eliot." Eigo Seinen (The Rising Generation) 149.3 (2003). 150-153. (In Japanese.)
- "Canto 98." Ezra Pound Review 4/5 (2003). 68-81. (Japanese translation.)
- "The Composition of the 20th-Century Salt Commissioner: Pound's Social View and Its Aesthetic Reflection in 'Canto 98' and 'Canto 99.'" Ezra Pound dans le Vortex de la Traduction, Annales du Monde Anglophone 16 (2003). 63-73.
- "'The Country of Thousand Years of Peace' and Other Poems." Luciole 50 (2003). 52-61. (Japanese translation.)
- "The War, Abstraction and Genealogy in Transport to Summer." Gengobunka-ronshu (Studies in Language and Culture) 24.2 (2003). 169-187. (In Japanese.)
- The History of American Literature from the Perspective of the 21st Century. Eds. Hironori Hayase and Kuniko Yoshizaki. Tokyo: Eihosha, 2002. (Co-authored. In Japanese.)
- American Modernism. Tokyo: Serika-shobo, 2002. (Ed. Hidetoshi Tomiyama, co-authored with Hidetoshi Tomiyama, Akiyoshi Miyake and Takaomi Eda. In Japanese)
- "Terrorism and Fiction: Bret Easton Ellis' Glamorama." Kokubungaku (Japanese Literature) 47.10 (2002). 60-64. (In Japanese.)
- "Reading Visual Poetry: Steve McCaffery's Carnival." Gengobunka-ronshu (Studies in Language and Culture) 24.1 (2002). 209-221. (In Japanese.)
- "Abe Kimihiko, Approximation of the Modern: Stevens, Oe, Avant-garde." English Literature 79.1 (2002) . 60-64. (Book review. In Japanese.)
- "Steven Meyer, Irresistible Dictation: Gertrude Stein and the Correlations of Writing and Science (Stanford University Press, 2001." Ivy 35 (2002). 129-133. (Book Review. In Japanese.)
- "The 20th Century of American Poetry, and Its 21st Century: The Fates of Popularization and Innovation." Eigo Seinen (The Rising Generation) 148.10 (2003). 620-623. (In Japanese.)
- "Response to Prof. Cheung's Keynote Lecture." AALA Journal, 6 (2001):18-22.
- "Gertrude Stein's 'and's' or Adding" (in Japanese). Yagoto, 16 (2000): 58-61.
- "Juxaposition and Power: Pound's Ideogrammic Abstraction" (in Japanese). Ezra Pound Review, 3 (2000): 1-14.
- "The 'Absorption' of Visibility: Internet and Poetry in English" (in Japanese). Gendaishi Techo (April, 2000): 80-85.
- "In Search of New Fiction: Wallace Stevens" (in Japanese). Shukan Asahi Hyakka, 33.6 (2000): 242-243.
- "'Play by Ear': Erickson in Nagoya" (in Japanese). Dream: The Future of Literature by Erickson and Japanese Writers. Ed. Yoshiaki Koshikawa. Chikuma Shobo, 1999. 212-216.
- "Erect or Not: Re-reading Sweeney Poems in Eliot's Poems, 1920" (in Japanese). Studies in English Literature, 51.1 (1998): 31-41.
- "Emily and Noriko: Two Cases of Representation of Historical Change." Chubu Amerika-Bungaku (Chubu American Literature), 1 (1998): 27-40.
- "The Yasusada Affair--Ethics or Aesthetics? ... The Kent Johnson/Akitoshi Nagahata Letters." Jacket, No2 (December, 1997)[with Kent Johnson] n. p.
- "Over a Fictional 'Hibakusha' Poet -- Forgery? Desire for Union? -- Discussion Slim on A-Bombs." (In Japanese) Asahi Shinbun. Evening Edition. August 19, 1997: 6.
- "L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E Poetry and History: Susan Howe's Articulation of Sound Forms in Time." (In Japanese) Eigo Seinen (The Rising Generation), 143.5 (1997): 210-212; 143.6 (1997): 329-331.
- "The 'Grid' in The Making of Americans: Gertrude Stein's Writing Style and Abstraction" (In Japanese). Gengo-Bunka-Ronshu (Studies in Language and Culture) (1) 18.2 (1997): 103-115; (2) 19.1 (1997): 127-140.
- "The Ambiguous Persuasion in 'Sunday Morning'" (In Japanese). Gengo-Bunka-Ronshu (Studies in Language and Culture) 18.1 (1996): 213-226.
- "The Internet and Contemporary Poetry: A Research and Preliminary Observations." (In Japanese) Gengo-Bunka Joho no Denshika to Inta-netto (The Internet and the Electronization of Linguistic and Cultural Information). Faculty of Language and Culture, Nagoya University, 1996. 57-78.
- "Radical Artifice in the '90s: An Interview with Professor Marjorie Perloff." Eigo Seinen (The Rising Generation), 141.8 (1995): 2-10.
- "Recent Notable Works in Poetry in the U.S." (in Japanese). Eigo Seinen (The Rising Generation), 139.10 (1994): 31.
- "The American Poetry in the 1980s and Ashbery's New Work" (in Japanese). Eigo Seinen (The Rising Generation), 139.7 (1993): 31.
- "H.D.'s romans a clef" (in Japanese). Eigo Seinen (The Rising Generation), 139.4 (1993): 31.
- "The Avant-Guard in the American Poetry of the Early 20th Century" (in Japanese). Eigo Seinen (The Rising Generation), 139.1 (1993): 31.
- "John Ashbery's Mock-Dialogue: An Attempt to Overcome Poetic Monologue" (in Japanese). Amerika-Bungaku (American Literature) 53, (1993): 27-35.
- "The 'Silent Communication' in Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49" (in Japanese). Joho to Communication (Information and Communication). Faculty of Language and Culture, Nagoya University, 1993. 5-23.
- "Allegory of Father-Complex: Reading Ozu's Late Spring" (in Japanese). Gengo-Bunka-Ronshu (Studies in Language and Culture) 14.1 (1992): 1-15.
- "Usurping the Family of Radicalism: Genealogy in Pynchon's Vineland" (in Japanese). Random 17 (1992): 105-118.
- "'Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror': Ashbery's Tromp-L'Oeil" (in Japanese). Gengo-Hyogen to Imeji (Verbal Expressionand Images). Center for Linguistic and Cultural Research, Nagoya University, 1991. 5-39.
- "Wallace Stevens' Political Giantology: Personification and Distortion." Amerika-Bungaku-Kenkyu (Studies in American Literature), 25 (1991): 49-65.
- "Fetishism and Memories: Ashbery and Time" (in Japanese). Gengo-Hyogen to Jikan (Verbal Expression and Time). Center for Linguistic and Cultural Research, Nagoya University, 1990. 50-76. (⇒ English version)
- "'Stories' and Masochism: Aspects of Control in Gravity's Rainbow (1)" (in Japanese). Gengo-Bunka-Ronshu (Studies in Language and Culture) 11.2 (1990): 103-122.
- "The Wardrobe and the Net: A 'Potential Plot' in John Ashbery's Scheherazade.'" Gengo-Bunka-Ronshu (Studies in Language and Culture) 10.2 (1989): 181-197.
- "Wallace Stevens' Subversive Imagination: A Reading of 'Description without Place.'" Random 12 (1987): 31-56.
- "A Boundary, Imagination and the Poet: Stevens' Poetry of Threshold." Gengo-Bunka-Kenkyu (Linguistic and Cultural Studies) 9 (1986): 9-17.
- "Crispin's Predicament: Dilemma between Reality and Fiction in Wallace Stevens' Poetry" (in Japanese). Random 11 (1986): 60-77.
last updated 2007.1.19
Nagahata HP in Japanese