A Cranford Walk Around Knutsford, Past and Present
(4) Marble Arch and Angel Inn (Past and Present)
Past the ex-Post Office is Marble Arch, the Angel Inn until about 1710: note the mounting block. The Inn then moved across the road. In Cranford Lord Maulever stayed here while visiting Captain Brown, whose humble household could not entertain such an august personage.
The Cranford ladies were disappointed not to meet him socially; the only person he spoke to was 'a little lad he had sworn at for driving a dirty hoop against the aristocratic legs'.
Knutsford Page Map of Knutsford
Top of Page Matsuoka's Home Page
* This page is written to look best using Netscape 2.0+.